*** PLEASE READ *** TL;DR at bottom.
At the moment, we are overwhelmed with trade-ins from our customers. We have had to work harder than ever when a box, bag, or garbage bag (please stop this) has come into the store, as the quality and condition of the books being brought in have deteriorated significantly. Have you seen our trade-in tragedies gallery?
As you have seen, we've come a long way since the old dusty (but still awesome) Bookie's of yore.
At this time of confusion, there is one thing that is certain. I want to protect the employees. Too many times, we've opened a container of books from our customers with a cloud of dust and cat hair. This has often caused fits of coughing and sneezing.
This is not the time for us to be coughing and sneezing, as you can imagine. We clean them. We dust them. We make sure that we only keep the books in the best possible conditions.
Some of our employees have allergies and asthma. I don't want to exacerbate any conditions they may have as we weather this pandemic.
Please do know that we appreciate all of you who continually bring us beautiful books in great condition. There are many, but we can't check everything quickly enough.
We're open for you today and through the foreseeable future (except this Sunday). Come buy some books for your time at home with your families.
Know that we're cleaning even more than usual.
We need our community, and we're happy to be here for you. We need your business. But, at the moment, we really don't need the box of books from an oft-flooded basement in the house your company has been hired to renovate.
Thank you for your understanding.
TL;DR -- Don't bring used books for a while. We're starting our spring moratorium on trade-ins early.
We only accept two bags OR two boxes of books per account per day.
- This is not a new policy. It has been in place for years. Sometimes 20 people bring trade-ins on the same day. It is easy for us to become overwhelmed.
- If you ask us to make an exception, you will be the fifth person to ask that day. Please understand why we have the limits in place.
- You may bring your books in boxes that are the size of the aforementioned paper shopping bags.
- Please do not bring your books in garbage bags. Books get damaged in them, as garbage bags do not have flat bottoms to maintain the books' shapes. They also make the store look as if it is filled with garbage.
- Your gently-used books
- Audiobooks on CD
- Textbooks and reference books with a publication date a maximum of three years before the current date.
- What do I get for my trade-in?
- For the books that we bring into inventory, Bookie’s gives you a credit account based on 25% of the cover price of the book (adjusted in the case of older books). This is for the books we can actually put on our shelves. If we donate a book or have to throw it away due to condition or age, we will not put credit on your account.
- How much credit can I use?
- From your credit account, you can use 40% of the already-reduced price on used books and 20% toward new books. You MUST have funds in your credit account to receive discounts. If you do not, you will be asked to bring in additional trade-ins to continue using your credit account.
- Do I have to use it all at once?
- No. credit is usable on current and future visits until none remains. When none remains, you must bring in additional saleable books.
- If I trade in books, do I still have to pay for my purchases?
- Yes. We don’t give you free books in exchange for your trade-ins. When you trade, credits are applied as mentioned above.
- What is a discount account?
- Your discount account is a record of your trade-ins, which is maintained in our computer system. We keep your information and discount credit balance on file so you don’t have to keep track of it. When you purchase or bring in books, we'll confirm your account, and discounts and credits will be used and updated appropriately.
- Books with missing or torn covers or pages.
- Hardcover books without dust jackets.
- Books with liquid damage, mold, or other dirt/grime.
- Library books cannot be accepted.
- We do not accept advanced readers copies or uncorrected proofs even after the publication date.
- Books must be clean and free of pet hair and smoke odors.